The Riccar Inn

The Riccar Inn

The Riccar Inn, ca. 1914
(Illustrated History of Poland Spring, 1914)

Office, The Riccar Inn, 1913
(Pamphlet, Poland Spring House, 1913)

Dining Room, The Riccar Inn, 1913
(Pamphlet, Poland Spring House, 1913)

The Riccar Inn was the last hotel building constructed on Ricker Hill by Hiram Ricker & Sons. Built in 1913 under the supervision of hotel carpenter, Forest Walker,  it contained 100 small rooms and 4 bathrooms. 

"The Riccar Inn, located at a distance of about 800 feet north of the Mansion House and about 1600 feet west of the Poland Spring House, is a new and complete hotel of eighty rooms, erected this year, finished in hardwood, equipped with public baths and showers, and with hot and cold running water in every room."
(Pamphlet, Poland Spring House, 1913)

The Riccar Inn derives its name from the founders of the present Ricker family in America, George and Mathurin Riccar, who came from Saxony about the middle of the seventeenth century"
(Pamphlet, Poland Spring House, 1913)

"The Riccar Inn was built primarily for the servants of those who were regular summer guests.  After the Inn was built, the Riccars found that their guests wanted their servants close by them and not across the golf course."
(Poland Spring, An Informal History, 1975)


After the resort closed, this building remained in use housing the operations of WMTW-TV in the basement and rear wing. From this location, the station would, on the evening of July 3, 1975, broadcast live coverage of the fiery destruction of the Poland Spring House.

The Riccar Inn, ca. 1917
(Pamphlet, Poland Spring, 1917)

The Riccar Inn, ca. 1980
(Postcard, postmarked 8 October 1981)

"In 1980...Saul Feldman renovated the last of the original Ricker buildings, the Riccar Inn, for the use of guests. The first-floor ballroom was closed in creating many rooms and suites, some with grand fireplaces. WMTW-TV continued to lease the the basement and back wing of the building. The Poland Spring Post Office also leased a room in the building's ground floor."
(Poland Bicentennial, 1795-1995)

"In 1979 we turned the 100 small rooms into 38 rooms of varying size and shape.  We also added a private bathroom to every room. . .We still needed a theme. . .and then it struck us. . .38 rooms. . .38 presidents of the United States.  The Riccar Inn became the Presidential Inn.   We decided that each of the rooms would not only be named after a president but decorated with his portrait, highlights of his career, pictures of his family, important documents, campaign posters, etc."
(Poland Spring, An Informal History, 1975)

"Mel Robbins leased the Riccar Inn from Feldman, renaming it the Presidential Inn. With steadily increasing profits, Robbins was able to purchase the buildings and land from Saul Feldman in 1982."

The Riccar Inn, ca. 1990
(The Inns at Poland Spring)

[In 1984] WMTW-TV shut down its antiquated studios at the Riccar Inn, making room for more hotel guests. Robbins placed a gift shop in the vacated basement space, and added several rooms where the studio's suites had been."

(Poland Bicentennial, 1795-1995)

The Riccar Inn is now operated as part of The Inns at Poland Spring.


Brian Harris